Hi. As per previous posts, I’ve been tinkering with the Key Management Service (KMS). Today I will cover the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT).
This GUI is a very useful management tool, and I do recommend it (especially when people ask license type questions!).
It’s a very straight forward thing to set up, as long as you avoid the gotchas. Which I did not!
I picked up another task, which aint too bad. A simple brief, provide Key Management Services (KMS) for Office 2016 and Windows 10.
In order to license Windows 10 and Office 2016 via a KMS, you must run it on Windows Server 2012. It will not work on anything less.
This was a sticking point for my organisation, as we currently host our KMS on Server 2008. This did complicate matters, as I would have two KMS servers. Generally speaking KMS boxes aren’t load balanced, if it is even possible (I don’t think it is).
Following on from my previous blog here, I had jumped through the Microsoft hoops to get my nice shiny gold padlock and green bar.
However all was not delivered as expected!
Ever since I started tinkering with SSL and HTTPS, I have had an unnatural hankering to move over into Extended Validation. It sounded simple enough, as per these Microsoft articles here, here and here.
Well it’s been a while. Work has been topsy turvy, with inane restructure taking place concurrently with other company wide restructures. Reassuring it is not… Anyway, I’ve found some desire to blog again after seeing some of the really useful stuff in the Current Branch (CB) of Config Manager. Continue reading
Every now and then I’ll work through the Fallback Status Point deployment failures; it’s good to keep on top of the numbers and it’s obviously needed if you wan to patch your PCs. There are naturally an abundance of errors, but this one was quite interesting:
FSP for the win.
Deployment Error: 0x80070652. Pre-req: vcredist_x86.exe
Following a client upgrade, I did notice a niggle with one of Config Manager’s Components:
So frustrating at times… the error doesn’t really tell what the real issue is.
A constant stream of:
WSUS Configuration Manager failed to publish client boot-strapper package
So basically something is wrong, but there were no details to give me a definitive direction. I delved into the logs, and headed straight for the WSUS logs. I opened the WCM.log, and although nothing was flagged in red, I did find some interesting text: