I wrote quite a few posts this month, and made a mental promise to stop. Consequently I now have about a dozen drafts waiting to go up; it’s like a maelstrom of IT poop in my head at the moment. However I thought it would be better to stagger them rather than just dumping all out in one messy go.
Unfortunately I couldn’t resist this one!
I’ve been having a problem getting my internet based clients to talk to my internet facing Management Point (MP). So much so that I backed off and focussed on migrating the Reporting Point to HTTPS, Distribution Point to HTTPS, Management Point to HTTPS, creating an Application Catalogue and prepping for Out of Band Management. Pretty much anything which avoids the existing problem.
Well my boss asked me for an update to the internet facing stuff and we had a bit of a barny. Okay it’s a sore point for me… and we’re all overworked; these things happen. so I went back to my logs and found these wonderful errors:
Post to https:///ccm_system/request failed with 0x87d00231
Unable to retrieve AD site membership
Failed to send management point list Location Request Message to internetFQDN
LSUpdateInternetManagementPoints: Failed to retrieve internet MPs from MP internetFQDN with error 0x87d00231, retaining previous list.
There is no AMP for site code ‘XXX’. Nulling existing entry in WMI
LSUpdateInternetManagementPoints: Failed to retrieve internet MPs from MP internetFQDN with error 0x87d00231
INTERNETPROXY (although none is set?)
Failed to get proxy for url ‘https://internetFQDN/bgb/handler.ashx?RequestType=LogIn’. Error 0x87d00215
Failed to get proxy for url ‘https://internetFQDN/ccm_system/request’. Error 0x87d00215
Failed to get proxy for url ‘https://internetFQDN/SMS_MP/.sms_aut?SITESIGNCERT’. Error 0x87d00215
Failed to get proxy for url ‘https://internetFQDN/SMS_MP/.sms_aut?MPLIST2&EX2’. Error 0x87d00215
I tried disabling the requirement for a CRL on the Config Manager site, but this had no obvious effect. It’s not working externally. However everything works fine internally. I wasn’t sure if it was the IIS certificate, issues with the IIS certificate SANs I specified here, incorrectly setting the Trusted Root CA on the site…. or any combination thereof.
Unfortunately 0x87d00231 is yet another generic “oops something went wrong” error code and covers a variety of topics.
It turned out to be something I’d missed, although in my defence I did not setup the Certificate Authority. When it was first setup, a Certificate Revocation List was not configured. The CDP information was left at its defaults. This might also explain why workgroup clients/Linux/Macs were having a problem reading my signed email (lol suckers – it’s not that I don’t care… I just… don’t… er… worry about them?).
So I dived in and read the documentation about CDPs and CRLs. I did find it heavy going, but I did the following:
- Created a website on an internet facing server (created a new Virtual Directory (VD).
- Configured said website to allow directory transversal
- Configured said website to allow doublebackslashescaping
- Configured the physical folder/share to allow the CA computer account in with read and write access. Naturally I hid the share xD
Next, I configured the Certificate Authority. I did the following:
- Configured the HTTP location
- Configured the file share location
The screenshots show the changes I made:
Note the two “include” options are also ticked, in the above screenshot. Make sure you tick ’em!
Note the two “publish” options are also ticked but the two includes are *not*, in the above screenshot.
The file share path is now set, for the CRL files to be transferred automatically. Note the string is prefixed with “file://\\”. Also note the two publish options are ticked.
In both instances I inserted <cCaName>, <CRLNameSUffix> and <DeltaCRLAllowed>. You must terminate the string with .CRL. If you don’t, IIS won’t know how to handle the file, as it will be an unknown MIME type, and generate a 404 error as per my post here.
Now for the really satisfying bit! I booted up a laptop at home the next day and the logs started behaving differently:
Name: ” HTTPS: ‘Y’ ForestTrust: ‘N’
LSUpdateInternetManagementPoints: Successfully refreshed internet MPs from MP .
There is no AMP for site code ”. Nulling existing entry in WMI
Persisted Default Management Point Locations locally
Unable to retrieve AD site membership
Calling back with the following WSUS locations
WSUS Path=’https://:8531′, Server=”, Version=’1386′
>>> Client selected the PKI Certificate [Thumbprint *snip*] issued to ‘clientFQDN
Client’s current MP is https://<internetFQDN> and is accessible
MP check succeeded
The PKI documentation states that you need to redeploy the certificate after adding in the CDP changes, and indeed the existing issued certificates make no reference to the HTTP location. Newly issued certificates do. However my home laptop has not received the updated certificate with the CDP information, yet it is now working. The screenshots below show the existing certificate:
…and a freshly issued certificate with the extra CDP information tagged on:
I am torn between two lines of thought. It’s down to the “No CRL checking” option being set on the Config Manager site server; whilst this may bypass some CRL “stuff”, it’s needed for to get other things going. Or it’s another Timey Wimey Wibbly Wobbly effect. I’ll test it further by enabling CRL checking on the site server and blog back. In the mean time…